If your family loves a wander around an artisan market – be sure to head to the Old Perth Road Markets in Bassendean. On the last Sunday of each month (Apr to Oct), the heart of Bassendean is closed to trafic for the markets. In summer month the markets are held on Saturday nights.
The Sunday morning event is perfect for buying fresh fruit and veggies for the week, as well as bread and other artisan foods.
Old Perth Road (which Little Chef kept singing to the tune of “Old Town Road”) is brimming with cafes, restaurants and the local landmark – the Bassendean Hotel. There’s not a lot of food trucks, but there’s plenty of places to enjoy a tasty breakfast or even a sausage sizzle!
The markets have a focus on arts and crafts. It’s an ideal place to find a unique handmade gift or treat yourself to something special. The line-up of stalls changes each month. Here’s an idea of what you may find… For green thumbs, there’s a wide range of potted plants and succulents, locally made gin, and beautifully crafted woodwork.
There’s a nifty “Ask an expert panel”. I’ve never seen this before, but it’s a great idea, where it’s free to ask an expert a question. We noticed a plumber, marketing professional and a Thermomix demonstrator too.
For kids, there’s a free colouring table. There’s another activity zone with activities to create for a small fee. The week we visited there was slime making and pot painting. Fur kids are welcome at the markets too.
There is plenty of parking around and the Bassendean train station is right across the road, making for easy access. Or why not cycle – the City of Bassendean have lots of bike racks and repair stations around.
Live entertainment creates a vibrant atmosphere at the Old Perth Road Markets. They’re well worth stopping by if you’re in the area.
Old Perth Road Markets Bassendean – The Details
Open: the last Sunday of each month (Apr to Oct).
Address: corner of Old Perth Road and Guildford Road, Bassendean.
- Cafes with Healthy Kids Menus in Perth - October 22, 2020
- Best Cafes in Perth for a Coffee in the Park - October 22, 2020
- The Best Family Friendly Restaurants in Fremantle - October 17, 2020
- Best Cafes for Mum’s Groups in Perth – South & Perth Hills - October 13, 2020
- 10 Things to do with Kids in Geraldton - October 12, 2020
- Museum of Geraldton - October 12, 2020
- Best Mini Golf Courses in Perth - October 5, 2020
- Zip Line Courses in Perth and WA - September 24, 2020
- The Kiosk Fremantle - September 22, 2020
- Sistas Burns Beach - September 14, 2020