If you have a family of wildlife lovers, a trip to the unique Eagles Heritage Wildlife Centre in Margaret River is a must. The sanctuary features Australia’s largest collection of birds of prey – eagles, hawks, falcons and owls. There’s also a couple of reptiles!
As well as is being a great place to spot some beautiful birds, it also has a strong focus on education, rehabilitation and endangered species breeding. What the public doesn’t see is a hospital and specialised facilities designed to help sick, injured and orphaned raptors return to the wild.
There’s two walk options to see the birds; the 1km wildflower walk (which is beautiful in spring) takes 40 minutes or if you’ve not got a lot of time to spare take the short walk, which takes about 15 minutes.
The many bird exhibits scattered through the gravel bush tracks, each one has an info plaque.
We opted for the shorter walk. It was so picturesque and peaceful walking through the shady bush. We saw owls, eagles and more.
We loved the cute Tawny Frogmouth.
Daily flying displays are not to be missed and were the highlight of our visit. We sat on benches under a roof, to keep the sun off. The displays are held at 11am and 1.30pm (weather permitting) and last about 40 minutes.
The host of the flying display talks on a microphone and tells us lots of interesting facts about the birds as they’re flying around.
First up was the beautiful little owl. There are some great photo opportunities… and you may even be lucky and have an owl perch on your arm like Little Chef! It’s not for all children, but luckily he wasn’t shy about putting on the glove and letting the bird sit on him.
Next were the birds of prey. It was fantastic to see them flying around the tree tops. The big birds are so majestic. They’d swoop in to grab a piece of raw meat so fast, they were a blur!
There is also a small museum to have a look at, a souvenir shop and toilets onsite.
The Eagles Heritage Centre is self-funding. They relying on visitor support for its continued operation and essential rehabilitation program.
Open 6 days (closed Fridays)
Open 7 days during school holidays
Find Eagles Heritage at Boodjidup Road, Margaret River, WA. (opposite Xanadu Winery).
- Virtual Tours of Museums, Zoos and Attractions Around the World - March 30, 2020
- Grocery Delivery Services in Perth - March 26, 2020
- Family Friendly Perth Restaurants & Cafes Offering Take Away - March 25, 2020
- 20 Indoor Activities for Parents - March 21, 2020
- 40 Fun Indoor Activities for Kids at Home - March 15, 2020
- Kingsway Markets, Madeley - March 11, 2020
- Playgrounds with Sporting Facilities in Perth - March 4, 2020
- Family Friendly Breweries in Perth and the Swan Valley - March 4, 2020
- The Ultimate Kid-Friendly Guide to Hillarys Boat Harbour - March 3, 2020
- Stadium Café, Lathlain - February 29, 2020