The Moore River Estuary in Guilderton, just one hour’s drive from Perth, is a favourite place of mine for a truly relaxing and fun family day out.
The spot is where the Moore River reaches the Indian Ocean. The river mouth opens and closes depending on the seasons. During the summer months, it appears as a closed lagoon with a large island of sand separating the river from the ocean.
A big draw for families is the sheltered calm water which is perfect for swimmers of all ages. The water is usually quite warm and shallow close to the shore. We like to take along a blow-up rubber dingy and the kids enjoy pottering around the river in it for hours! There are also lots of fish so take along a fishing net for extra fun!
If you fancy being a bit more energetic you can hire a canoe, pedalo or paddle boat. Hire is available during weekends, school holidays and public holidays.
Moore River is a popular spot for social gatherings and many people bring along gazebos and pitch them along the grassy river bank.
Here you’ll find BBQs, picnic shelters a small playground and toilets.
There is a large car park although it can get quite full on busy days, and you have to pay and display. However, at the top of the hill, there is an additional free car park – you just need to walk down a flight of steps to access the beach.
Next to the car park is a café which serves the usual stodgy fair of fish and chips, burgers, sausages, pies and other fried goods. The beer-battered chips were sooo good! Depending on how busy they are it can be a bit of a wait for food.
Attached to the café is a small convenience store which seems to sell just about everything!
If you fancy staying longer than a day then check out the Guilderton Caravan Park which commands the perfect location right next to the river’s edge.
Find more beaches in Perth
- FRY’D, Leederville - May 12, 2022
- Bennett Brook Railway, Whiteman Park - April 20, 2022
- Long Neck Brewery Perth - April 20, 2022
- The Climb Zone Bullsbrook - April 8, 2022
- Aloft Perth Review - March 23, 2022
- Cockburn Ice Arena - February 17, 2022
- Fun activities to tick off your list before school starts - January 27, 2022
- Moonlight Cinema, Kings Park - January 23, 2022
- 7 Tips To Find The Right Tutor - January 21, 2022
- Gravity Discovery Centre, Gingin - January 10, 2022