The Rottnest Island Explorer bus service is ideal if you want to get more out of your day or short break on Rottnest. It’s a great alternative to cycling, this way you can see a lot more of the island and don’t have to worry about little legs getting tired peddling up hills! Grab a day pass and take advantage of the hop on – hop off service to see some of Western Australia’s most beautiful beaches and pristine bay, as well as a whole host of historic spots.
The journey is comfortable, with the air-conditioned bus making 18 stops on the route. There’s also a commentary, so you’re bound to find out some fascinating facts too!
The bus does a loop of the Island, and a bus arrives at each spot every 30 minutes, making it easy to squeeze in lots of sightseeing. The island is 11km long and 4.5km wide, so a full loop on the bus takes about an hour. The windows are big, so you can see everything all around you. If you have a pram, there’s room for that too. It’s also a great way to familiarise yourself with the whole Island when you arrive, to discover areas that you can later explore in more detail by bike or on foot. There are so many things to do on Rottnest Island, whether its nature, history or relaxing on the sand that floats your boat. You can get off at any number of stops to enjoy attractions and beaches:
Swim at one of the 63 beaches and 20 bays, like the stunning Salmon Bay.
Cape Vlamingh is a stunning spot, with elevated walkway to a lookout over the ocean.
Encounter wildlife including birdlife, sea lions and dolphins at Cathedral Rocks. You’ll even be able to spot whales in their migration season, with the free binoculars.
Climb the Wadjemup Lighthouse for a spectacular view across the island.
Hire a bike and get the bus back.
So make the most of your time on Rottnest and explore its spectacular coastal headlands, inland lakes and much more, by hopping on a bus!
You can book your ticket online, purchase them from the Visitor Centre, at the Main Bus Stop vending machines or from a friendly bus driver.
Prices (At November 2018)
Day Pass – ADULT $20.00
Day Pass – CHILD (5 to 12 years) $15
(Children 4 and under ride free)
Day Pass – CONCESSION $15
The following concession cards are accepted and must be shown:
• West Australian Seniors
•Department of Veterans Affairs
•Australian Student Cards
Day Pass – FAMILY $50
2 ADULTS & 2 CHILDREN
- Virtual Tours of Museums, Zoos and Attractions Around the World - March 30, 2020
- Grocery Delivery Services in Perth - March 26, 2020
- Family Friendly Perth Restaurants & Cafes Offering Take Away - March 25, 2020
- 20 Indoor Activities for Parents - March 21, 2020
- 40 Fun Indoor Activities for Kids at Home - March 15, 2020
- Kingsway Markets, Madeley - March 11, 2020
- Playgrounds with Sporting Facilities in Perth - March 4, 2020
- Family Friendly Breweries in Perth and the Swan Valley - March 4, 2020
- The Ultimate Kid-Friendly Guide to Hillarys Boat Harbour - March 3, 2020
- Stadium Café, Lathlain - February 29, 2020