A weekend drive to a historic Perth Hills pub is a favourite thing for us to do as a family. The Mount Helena Tavern, which is over 110 years old, is just minutes from the centre of Mundaring. The pub is full of rustic charm and character. And good news – they welcome kids with open arms! Known locally as “The Mounties” the traditional Australian pub has a bar area, games area with pool tables, and cosy lounge areas with Chesterfield sofas and open fireplaces – perfect for a chilly hills day!
Dine in the formal dining room inside or find a spot in the beer garden.
The large grassy beer garden has plenty of tables overlooking a kid’s play area and stream which flows in winter – so watch those little ones!
The kids play area has equipment best suited to toddler aged children, as well as a boat to play on and some swings.
The Mount Helena Tavern has a big menu with all the pub favourites – burgers, fish n chips, steak, pizza, tacos, salads and more. There’s plenty of specials on throughout the week and $20 roasts on the weekend. My Mum enjoyed a grilled fish with chips and salad which is also available beer battered. The tasty snapper fillet is served with homemade tartare sauce and fresh lemon.
The “Chicken Parmi” ($26) also looked delicious. The large homemade panko crumbed chicken breast topped with Napoli sauce and three cheeses, is served with chips and a fresh garden salad.
My son didn’t feel like eating on this occasion, but there is a kids menu with a good selection of six dishes. High chairs are also available.
And there’s colouring in to keep kids busy at the dining table. As well as a kids corner with books and toys.
The Mount Helena Tavern is a lovely spot in the Perth Hills. We felt very welcome at the Mount Helena Tavern – service has a friendly country feel. The pub food is good quality – tasty, unpretentious and good value.
Find the Mount Helena Tavern at 900 Keane Street, Mount Helena.
Find more places to eat with kids in Perth here.
- FATS, Bridgetown - October 20, 2021
- The Crooked Carrot Cafe, Myalup - October 19, 2021
- Greenbushes Mine Lookout - October 18, 2021
- Jarra Infusion Café, Pinjarra - October 13, 2021
- Old Coast Brewery, Myalup - October 12, 2021
- The Gingerbread House, Boyanup - October 12, 2021
- Lavender and Berry Farm, Pemberton - October 12, 2021
- Road Trip to Albany and Denmark - September 16, 2021
- Best Restaurants for Kids in Perth City - September 9, 2021
- S&R Orchard Blossom Festival - September 2, 2021