A weekend drive to a historic Perth Hills pub is a favourite thing for us to do as a family. The Mount Helena Tavern, which is over 110 years old, is just minutes from the centre of Mundaring. The pub is full of rustic charm and character. And good news – they welcome kids with open arms! Known locally as “The Mounties” the traditional Australian pub has a bar area, games area with pool tables, and cosy lounge areas with Chesterfield sofas and open fireplaces – perfect for a chilly hills day!
Dine in the formal dining room inside or find a spot in the beer garden.
The large grassy beer garden has plenty of tables overlooking a kid’s play area and stream which flows in winter – so watch those little ones!
The kids play area has equipment best suited to toddler aged children, as well as a boat to play on and some swings.
The Mount Helena Tavern has a big menu with all the pub favourites – burgers, fish n chips, steak, pizza, tacos, salads and more. There’s plenty of specials on throughout the week and $20 roasts on the weekend. My Mum enjoyed a grilled fish with chips and salad which is also available beer battered. The tasty snapper fillet is served with homemade tartare sauce and fresh lemon.
The “Chicken Parmi” ($26) also looked delicious. The large homemade panko crumbed chicken breast topped with Napoli sauce and three cheeses, is served with chips and a fresh garden salad.
My son didn’t feel like eating on this occasion, but there is a kids menu with a good selection of six dishes. High chairs are also available.
And there’s colouring in to keep kids busy at the dining table. As well as a kids corner with books and toys.
The Mount Helena Tavern is a lovely spot in the Perth Hills. We felt very welcome at the Mount Helena Tavern – service has a friendly country feel. The pub food is good quality – tasty, unpretentious and good value.
Find the Mount Helena Tavern at 900 Keane Street, Mount Helena.
Find more places to eat with kids in Perth here.
- Virtual Tours of Museums, Zoos and Attractions Around the World - March 30, 2020
- Grocery Delivery Services in Perth - March 26, 2020
- Family Friendly Perth Restaurants & Cafes Offering Take Away - March 25, 2020
- 20 Indoor Activities for Parents - March 21, 2020
- 40 Fun Indoor Activities for Kids at Home - March 15, 2020
- Kingsway Markets, Madeley - March 11, 2020
- Playgrounds with Sporting Facilities in Perth - March 4, 2020
- Family Friendly Breweries in Perth and the Swan Valley - March 4, 2020
- The Ultimate Kid-Friendly Guide to Hillarys Boat Harbour - March 3, 2020
- Stadium Café, Lathlain - February 29, 2020