With the cost of living skyrocketing (but sadly wages staying put), household budgets are tighter than ever. We all have our go-to Perth shopping spots for cheap groceries in Perth and/or quality produce for our grocery shopping. Some parents shop weekly, fortnightly and even monthly at one or even several discount supermarkets, to grab all the specials. These days, there are the convenient options of online shopping, home delivery, click and collect, organic, bulk-buying and even your local farmer’s markets.
Most of us tend to shop close to home, as it’s so easy. Whether you love a strict budget spreadsheet and meal planners to manage your budget, or just want some ideas for where to find good-value food and household goods, we have it all in our guide. Here’s where to find the cheapest groceries in Perth:
Cheap Bulk Buy Food in Perth
One of the most economical ways to shop is to head to a bulk grocery store in Perth. This is often very eco-friendly too, as you can take your own containers and reduce packaging waste.
- The Beef Shed (Malaga) – Head here for quality grass-fed and free-range pasture-bred beef, lamb, pork, chicken, plus a variety of local fish. Here’s a tip – take a jacket as it’s found in a huge fridge warehouse. You can park directly outside and fill your boot with cheap meat.
- The Pantry Man – order online and home delivery of pantry bulk buy staples.
- Weigh & Pay (Woodvale) – this shop is great for bulk buying nuts, seeds, flours and a range of health food products.
- Wasteless Pantry (Mundaring, Greenwood, Bassendean) – bulk buy groceries with minimal waste, using reusable containers. You can also order online.
Supermarkets in Perth
As well as looking through the weekly specials catalogues, a way to save money at your local supermarket is by purchasing a discounted gift card. Woolworths eGift cards offer you convenience with the Woolworths Money App. The app can help you to keep track of all your gift card balances and it means that as long as you have your phone with you will have the gift card at your fingertips all the time. The Groupon site and Entertainment book often features deals for Woolworths Gift Cards. Previous offers have included 5% off of Woolworths eGift cards. That can result in a big saving over the course of a year. Most of the big shopping malls in Perth have a Coles, IGA, Farmer Jacks and/or Woolies. See our kid-friendly guide here.
- Spudshed – is a popular places for cheap groceries in Perth. The Spud-King Tony Gelati sells cheap produce in various locations across Perth.
- Costco – currently, there’s just one Costco in Perth and it is SO popular! Found near Perth Airport, you can buy everything and everything here, mainly in bulk. Membership is $60 per year. But you’re bound to save that, and more! Be sure to fill up your car when you visit too. Costco consistently has Perth’s cheapest fuel.
- Aldi – the German supermarket chain is most famous for its “Special Buys” meaning you might go in for a bunch of bananas, and come out with a lawnmower! Their no-brand products that are similar to popular products, at cheaper prices are also popular with those shopping for a bargain.
Local Farmers Markets in Perth
Take a weekend stroll around a Perth Farmers market is just lovely! Not only are you buying direct from the grower, cutting out the middle man costs, you’re supporting small local business with your shopping dollar. Coventry Village Markets is a brilliant alternative – particularly when the weather isn’t great for being outdoors. Or why not go direct to the grower and purchase your super fresh produce from a roadside stall in the Swan Valley or Perth Hills, or even have fun fruit picking yourself!
Check out our list of weekly and monthly local food markets in Perth here.
Organic & Locally Sourced Food Shops in Perth
While buying organic is not cheap, it may be your families preference to eat produce grown without chemicals and hormones. Some of the smaller stores can offer better value than buying organic from the nationwide supermarket chains.
- The Naked Butcher (Mundaring & Online) – local and ethically sourced meat and game, grass-fed and organic options. Order online, deliver all over Perth. Great for bulk buying competitively priced organic meat.
- The Peoples Market Perth – online ordering and delivery to a few local hubs for collection. Bulk buy cupboard items, organic foods and locally grown and sourced meat, fish, fruit and vegetables. You can also “pay forward” food baskets for local charities.
Have we missed your favourite place for cheap groceries in Perth? Let us know in the comments below!
- S&R Orchard Christmas and Fruit Picking Festival, Walliston - December 1, 2023
- The Best Water Slides in Perth - November 22, 2023
- Masonmill Gardens, Carmel - November 22, 2023
- Perth’s Outback Splash, Bullsbrook - November 21, 2023
- The Maze at Perth’s Outback Splash - November 21, 2023
- Bilya Koort Boodja Cultural Centre, Northam - November 15, 2023
- The Kid-Friendly Guide to Scarborough - November 8, 2023
- Zoie Cafe, Scarborough - November 8, 2023
- Best Mini Golf Courses in Perth - November 8, 2023
- Mini Golf at Wanneroo Botanic Gardens - November 8, 2023