Sherwood Road, Australind
Dates: From 29th November
Some information about us
We are Laurence and Karen, we have 2 kids. One Boy, Thomas who has Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder and One Girl named Taylor.
We started our Christmas Lights nearly 8 years ago, started really small with about 4 lights and keep building up over the years. We do buy a few new lights or replace some each year and people from our beautiful community even donate lights to us too. We do the Christmas lights because we love seeing the Joy, Smiles, Laughter and tears of Joy. The kids light up with seeing our special guests come in too (Santa, Mrs Clause, Christmas Elves and Angel, this year we have added a Snowman to the mix too). We know kids can be frightened we people in costumes or coming up to Strangers, we don’t push at all, we let them come up to us.
Laurence and Karen have National Police Clearance, Working with Children’s Cards and run a business called Karen’s Autism and Kidz Items (which goes around to school helping teachers and supplying items for their kids and Sensory Rooms, also helping alot of families with Special Needs to)). Karen has a little bit more qualifications such as Special Needs EA, Support Work, Autism Awareness Qualification, done courses in PODD, Communication PECS, and learning to talk Auslan too, and many more qualifications too.
What do we offer?
• We offer Sensory Days
• We have path ways through our display where you can get up close to our display and these pathways are about 1m so people in Wheel chairs can experience the display too.
• We have Feel tubs throughout the display on every night we open.
• We Fundraiser for Local Disability Groups within the South West Region.
• We have knowledge in Disabilities, due to working as a Special Needs EA, Working as a Support worker, Running programs for people with disabilities and volunteering with many organisations in the disability world.
What do we do for our Sensory Lights?
• We turn off all flashing lights (ones we can’t turn solid
• We turn off for the night decorations/display that make noise
• No Christmas Music
• No musical/Dancing Toys,
• Our Christmas Village Train goes to Silent
• Our snow machine goes onto request only and we do ask everybody who are around before we turn on.
• How long have we been doing this Sensory Nights
• I have done them before with our Christmas lights but never advertised them really well (only one in the past), always been word of mouth for the last 4 years. We were able to give a few Christmas experiences who never seen lights before and one of the families said it was our child’s wish to see Christmas lights. So this year I thought I needed to advertise it more as so many people are missing out on them.
What are Sensory tubs?
• Sensory Tubs are different tubs with different feels. Some are rocks, some are Rice, Some are Sand, Some are Powdered Snow, and some are little water Balls and what we can think of, we do try and get different ones when we think about something new.
• We have them in our display because we know what it feels like if you are overwhelmed and you need something to calm yourself down.
• We don’t just have Sensory Tubs on Sensory Days, we do have them throughout the display on every night but we do change them around.
Who does this help?
• These days help families with Epilepsy. Some people with Epilepsy see one flashing light and they start to have a seizure.
• Sensory who don’t have the opportunity to see Christmas lights.
• Gives opportunity for everyone in the community to experience Christmas Lights that we take for granted.
Why do we Fundraiser?
• We fundraiser for local Disability Organisations because they are based on Volunteers who work hard to keep these activities going for these families, and they only get money from government grants or Donations from the community. These Organisations need our help to survival.
• Yes we do get asked by several Perth Based or Australia based companies to change our donations to them.
• We choose Local because we would like our money we fundraiser for to stay with the local communities and be able to use these local departments.
Extra bonuses we can offer
• We also speak Podd, Pecs and a little sign language too.
If you need other requirements please ask us and we will try and see what we an do to.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Place Category: Christmas Lights Perth