If you have a mischievous gumnut baby at home take them along to the May Gibbs Gumnut Babies Exhibition at the State Library of WA. As part of the Awesome Arts Festival this free event features artworks from May Gibbs’ early works through to her celebrated Gumnut Baby pieces.
Emigrating from England at age 4 and growing up in WA, Gibbs took inspiration from the Australian wildflowers to create her loveable bush babies. Characters such as Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, Ragged Blossom and of course the Banksia Men all feature in this exhibition.
Many different works are displayed. See the progression of sketch to final works and how the final image differs from the original. One of our favourite things was the video of the bush with her drawings of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie digitally superimposed into the gumtrees.
Follow the gumnuts up the stairs to the Story Place Gallery to see more gumnut baby displays. Along with more drawings there are some of her earliest published books and postcards.
May Gibbs – Gumnut Baby Exhibition is on now and runs until November 1st at the State Library of WA. For big gumnut baby fans, make a day of it and combine your visit of the exhibition with a viewing of the West Australian Ballet’s performance of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie right outside the library at the Perth Cultural Centre. The show runs every day from 28th September- 2nd October at 11am (show 30mins, post-show activity 20mins). Both events are free entry, no booking required.
For more information visit www.slwa.wa.gov.au
- May Gibbs Gumnut Babies Exhibition, State Library of WA - September 23, 2020
- Kuljak Island, Ascot - July 15, 2020
- Pink Lake, Coral Coast - November 14, 2019
- Uluwatu, Bali - June 18, 2019
- AMA Actors Studio, Osbourne Park - April 3, 2019
- Universal Yums - March 27, 2019
- The Gingerbread House, Boyanup - November 10, 2018
- Perth Upmarket, Crawley - November 7, 2018
- Flower Design School Birthday Party - October 11, 2018
- RAC Monkey Mia Dolphin Resort - October 10, 2018