Does your grandparent cook the best brownies or make the tastiest pasta sauce? Do you have a precious family recipe that has been handed down through the generations? If so, the Big Bethanie Bake Off wants to hear from you. Entries are now open to school-aged children for the sixth annual Bake Off, a local cooking competition which brings Perth’s oldest and youngest chefs together to showcase their culinary skills and share magical memories of intergenerational recipe sharing.
Bethanie, Western Australia’s most recognised not-for-profit aged care and retirement living provider, continues to work on closing the intergenerational gap with this popular live cooking competition which offers some fantastic prizes.
To take part, school aged children and Bethanie seniors must submit their unique recipes, as well as the history behind them, in the hope of being selected as one of four junior and four senior finalists to compete in the live bake-off.
Each submission is judged on creativity, nutritional value, and complexity of the recipe, along with the story behind their secret family recipe. Four juniors and four Bethanie Seniors move on to compete in a live cook-off event which takes place on 13 November 2019 at Have-a-Go Day, a LiveLighter event. A carefully selected panel of expert judges will decide the overall winner at the live bake-off.
The judges select three winners on the day – ‘Best Senior’, ‘Best Junior’ and the overall ‘Big Bethanie Bake Off Champion’. Last year Best Senior went to Joan Edmonds from Bethanie Mount Claremont Living Well Centre for her Mum’s Patty Cakes and Best Junior went to Tom Rechichi from St Anthony’s School Greenmount for his Gnocchi.
The 2018 Big Bethanie Bake Off Champion was Isabell Neill from Bethanie Kwinana Living Well Centre for her Cauliflower Mustard Pickles. Isabell surprised staff with a jar of her home-made Cauliflower Mustard Pickles earlier in the year and it was a big hit. She has made her pickles for everyone in her family since first coming across the recipe in the early 70’s and it quickly became a family favourite.
To enter, visit www.bigbethaniebakeoff.com and complete an online entry form. Entries close 15 October 2019.
For further information on entering please contact Bethanie on 131 151.
- April Family Events in Perth - March 9, 2020
- Why a girls’ school from day one? - February 12, 2020
- How To Prepare Yourself For Your Next Big Exam - January 12, 2020
- School Holiday Activities Perth 2020 - January 2, 2020
- Penrhos College Kindergarten students ask – ‘How best can we help animals to survive?’ - December 20, 2019
- Places Where You Can Go Camping In Perth - November 5, 2019
- How to Buy The Ideal Baby Thermometer - October 15, 2019
- INTERGENERATIONAL BIG BETHANIE BAKE OFF RETURNS FOR SIXTH YEAR - October 2, 2019
- How To Choose The Best Tutors Online To Help Your Kids - September 17, 2019
- FUN-FILLED FAMILY EVENING SUPPORTING CHILDREN’S CANCER RESEARCH - September 11, 2019