Tom’s Kitchen at Fairbrossen in Carmel is a gorgeous spot in the Bickley Valley for a Sunday lunch. It’s best to book at the popular spot and we were squeezed in at 1.30pm for a late lunch. We’d visited the winery a few years before, for afternoon tea, but now the Fairbrossen café has been taken over and it is run separately to the winery under the name “Tom’s Kitchen at Fairbrossen”.
The restaurant is found in an old tractor shed, which has been transformed into a rustic dining area overlooking the vines and wishing well below. During cooler weather the café is made cosier with café blinds and heaters, and are opened when the weather is fine.
Fairbrossen Café caters very well for families and groups. If you are dining with children, sadly the old toy corner is gone, but there’s still colouring and easy board games like connect 4 and snakes and ladders to keep kids entertained at the table. Highchairs are available too.
The seasonal menu at Tom’s Kitchen at Fairbrossen is a la carte and I did spy a platter. The café is also popular for their Devonshire Teas with homemade scones served with jam and cream. If you like a glass of vino with your lunch, the restaurant is not licenced. You can purchase a bottle of wine from the neighbouring cellar door and bring it BYO style. I loved the pork belly dish with duck fat potatoes.
Another tasty dish at our table was the Barramundi with fresh WA prawns.
Kids have a choice of fish and chips or burger and chips. These are a good-sized portions, which filled up 10yr old Little Chef. He loved the burger, which was made with quality ingredients, with fries and a side salad ($15). The salad also included some strawberries and orange, so even no-salad eaters are bound to enjoy something fresh.
At the cellar door, there’s wine to suit all tastes. From sparkling, rose, shiraz and tempranillo, cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay. I did rather enjoy their chardy!
“I’m fair Brosen” means “full to bursting” and we certainly were after the large meals. Fairbrossen is a pretty spot in the Perth Hills. It’s a lovely taste of the country just 25 minutes from the city.
Find Tom’s Kitchen at Fairbrossen, at 51 Carmel Road, Carmel.
Discover more child friendly restaurants in Perth here.
- Cycling with Kids in Perth - May 29, 2020
- COVID-Safe Kids Birthday Parties in Perth - May 15, 2020
- National Parks and Regional Parks in Perth - April 30, 2020
- Mother’s Day Gift Ideas in Perth - April 24, 2020
- Best Book Shops for Kids in Perth - April 15, 2020
- Family Friendly Perth Restaurants & Cafes Offering Take Away - April 10, 2020
- Virtual Tours of Perth and WA Attractions - April 7, 2020
- Virtual Tours of Museums, Zoos and Attractions Around the World - March 30, 2020
- Online Grocery Delivery Services in Perth - March 26, 2020
- 20 Indoor Activities for Parents - March 21, 2020