The Duyfken 1606 Replica has found a new home at Aquarium of Western Australia (AQWA) for the months of April to October for the next three years.
The Duyfken 1606 Replica was commissioned in 1995, with the ship being launched in 1999 with its mission to share the history of Dutch maritime adventure in the early 1600s and the significance that this played in the development of Australia.
Entry is $35 and includes standard entry to AQWA. You can tour the replica ship at various times throughout the day and also enjoy a very entertaining Pirate show.
Today Duyfken shares her stories as a floating museum that authentically represents what life aboard ships of the 1600s would have been like.
Watch your head when you journey down below deck as the roof is low.
Once you have climbed down the steep ladder, you’ll discover the Captain’s Cabin which includes his bed, charting table, candlestick holders and personal knick-knacks.
The tour guides are very knowledgeable about the Duyfken and the times it sailed the oceans. It was very interesting hearing about how spices were stored and items they used, for example, boiling down an elephant tusk made a great lantern shade.
The stone blocks you’ll find located on the deck’s floor are there to help balance the ship. They are 400 yrs old and were gifted from Amsterdam.
In Adventure Bay you will find a timeline of the life of the Duyfken, where she sailed, the trades she did and how she finished up.
There is also a merchandise store and guides on hand to answer any of your questions and the tour times. The Duyfken exhibit closes at 4pm each day.
Please note, prams are not allowed onboard the ship but there is room to park and children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
To find out more visit www.aqwa.com.au/whats-on/
CHECK OUT OTHER THINGS TO DO IN PERTH
- Sculpture by the Sea, Cottesloe 2020 - March 11, 2020
- Roar Bar & Grill, Bibra Lake - May 16, 2019
- Duyfken 1606 Replica, AQWA - April 25, 2019
- Mermaid Magic at AQWA - April 18, 2019
- AQWA Try Driving - April 4, 2019
- Sculpture by the Sea 2019 - March 6, 2019
- Glowing Rooms Australia, Mini-Golf, Perth - February 28, 2019
- Perth Aqua Park, Baldivis - December 27, 2018
- Adventure World Rides with Tweens - October 4, 2018
- Under the Sea at Cockburn Gateway Shopping City - September 27, 2018